Director/Principal Scientist, Target Biology
Lead Pharma develops innovative small-molecule therapies for patients with autoimmune disease or cancer. Lead Pharma is headquartered at Pivot Park, the biopharmaceutical life sciences campus in Oss, the Netherlands. They have fully equipped labs for all stages of drug discovery, including medicinal chemistry, cellular pharmacology, and molecular pharmacology, as well as an in silico lab for their computational chemistry, bioinformatics and data mining activities. Lead Pharma works with a select network of specialized contract research organizations to whom they outsource in vivo pharmacology and toxicology studies.
Lead Pharma has a qualified team of 30 employees, including 10 with a PhD degree, who have long-term experience working in large pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies and academia.
Position in the organization
The Director/Principal Scientist reports directly to the CSO. (S)he will be a member of the leadership team and contribute actively to the wider R&D strategy.
The Director/Principal Scientist is responsible for all in vitro and in vivo pharmacology and for translational activities. This role will cover the entire scope of pharmacology, from target selection, through cellular and in vivo pharmacology to biomarker identification and translational activities.
- Initiate, execute and be responsible for target identification and validation.
- Responsible for development of functional assays and running of these assays for projects.
- Manage in vivo pharmacology, to be delivered through partnerships with CRO’s and other external providers.
- Contribute and be responsible for translational activities.
- Act as a subject matter expert for cell biological methods and technologies, supporting colleagues with experimental design when needed.
- Act as the pharmacology expert and point of contact for the organization throughout the drug discovery process.
- Work closely with the CSO, providing both operational leadership and scientific input to the Research strategy.
- Present data both internally and externally.
- Member of the leadership team, contributing actively to the business atmosphere / corporate culture / company policy.
Lead Pharma is looking for an enthusiastic individual with a strong background in target validation and biomarker identification, cellular and in vivo pharmacology; a strong operational mindset, excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute to the wider R&D strategy.
We are looking for someone with:
- A Ph.D. in cell biology, pharmacology, tumor biology or a related field.
- Experience with identification and validation of novel targets.
- A solid background in drug discovery and preclinical development, gained within the pharma / biotech setting.
- Understanding of oncology, understanding of immunology would be an advantage.
- Familiarity or direct experience with developing functional cellular assays in oncology and/or immunology.
- Experience in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, gained within an industrial setting.
- Preferable experience in translational medicine, e.g. biomarker identification and validation.
- Strong public track record, evident from e.g. papers, patents, conference presentations, contributions to industrial projects.
- A proactive attitude, who is creative and able to take the lead.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
At the personal level, you will be a creative, credible and knowledgeable individual within your field; someone who will rapidly gain the confidence of the leadership team, Board and investors. Well-motivated with a pro-active mindset and a focus on quality with a strong attention to detail. (S)he must be capable of operating in a collaborative, fast paced, semi-virtual environment; contributing to the strategic vision, but getting into the detail when required.
The role is based in Oss, the Netherlands and the appointed candidate will be expected to spend the majority of his/her time at this location.
For more information please contact:
Thema Group®, Partner in Life Science Recruitment
Pivot Park - Oss – The Netherlands
Marjo Lucker, Recruitment Consultant
T : +31 613 561 988
Marije Hoogendoorn, Senior Recruitment Specialist